Should you plan a maternity shoot? Should you schedule a newborn photo session?
First off-we rarely tell you what you should do, there are plenty of other folks who are more than happy to do that! We don't care what you do, we just want you to be happy and make decisions that you feel good about; in style and so much more. (A disclaimer is needed here for anyone who has ever shopped with us for denim in store-we get a little bossy and strongly advise on sizing.)
The real question is "Do you want to invest in a pregnancy or newborn photo shoot?" It's your call. And, here's the thing to consider-there is a very small window, so, we do feel that you might want to give it some thought in advance.
There is no right or wrong, there is only a what is right for YOU! What do you want?
Things to consider:
- There are going to be plenty of pictures of you pregnant, do you want one that you could hang on a wall? (Not that you have to do that.)
- If you want to celebrate your pregnancy with a professional shoot, what is your dream?
- Is it black and white and all about the bump?
- Do you want skin, no skin or both?
- Do you want a spouse represented as part of the process?
- Do you want a picture of your and your family on a beach/forest//field?
(and, yes, that's our very own Dede, pregnant with her now 6 year old)
- Reach out to a photographer early to schedule your session when the bump is ready for it's close up.
- There will be about a billion pictures of your beautiful perfect baby.
- The thing about having a newborn is this: you have a newborn.
- You may not have time to take the ideal picture that you will want on the walls in ten or twenty years.
- Think about what you want here as well; baby in a basket? On a bed? Props or no props?
- Another thing to consider when making a decision to get professional pictures: There will be a million pictures, but there may be zero pictures of you, your spouse and the baby/babies!
- There may be virtually no pictures of the whole family. And even fewer in which everyone looks even remotely good, someone always has "that face" or their eyes shut-it's just a thing.
Do your research.
Taking some time to find a photographer is important. Sometimes your wedding photographer is a good option. Sometimes they are good for weddings, good with newborns...but those newborns grow! Are they the right fit for your family? (And they might be!)
In working with a photographer you are building a long term relationship!
And, like any long term relationship, it's good to know what you want and to take time entering the relationship!!
We have been fortunate to partner with many amazing photographers through the years, women who make moms, and dads,happy. They always offer our clients a special promo when we have them hang a show on our walls. With your $300 in-store purchase you will be eligible for a complimentary sitting (a roughly $300 value), just ask your stylist at checkout and we'll give you your card. Currently Classic Kids is hanging in LA (and they have locations in Los Gatos and Burlingame, so, if you like their style, they are happy too offer this promo in these 3 Caifornia locations), One Love Photography is hanging in San Francisco and this year we are thrilled to have Lisa DeNeffe Photography in Palo Alto. Lisa has an amazing range of styles and she also offers in studio, in home or outside options.
Lisa's offer includes:
- Making the appointment for either maternity or newborn photos
- A session to discuss location and type of photography you'd like
- Time with a professional photographer, about an hour
- Order session two weeks after your initial shoot
From start to finish they are honestly amazing.
Here's a little more from Lisa:
For over 10 years, Lisa DeNeffe Photography has been transforming the way families enjoy and live with their photography by creating memories that will be treasured for a lifetime.
I LOVE being able to capture true emotion for a lifetime and being part of your family’s most precious moments. Having families come back to me year after year is an honor that is hard to put into words. For those of you who have worked with me, thank you so much for that gift. And for those of you who haven’t had the opportunity to meet and work with me yet – please get in touch! We always start the process with a complimentary planning session to be sure that we are the best fit and to understand your goals and desires. Photography is the best thing I’ve done in my life. I keep counting my lucky stars to be doing what I love and bringing joy to families.
What we do: We specialize in finished fine art products that capture the essence of your family and are designed to last for generations. Our wall portraits are customizable, frame-less fine art pieces ready to install on your walls. We design unique collections of your favorite images specific to your interior spaces.
What about digitals? Digitals are both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because they are easy to share online but also a curse because they end up on old hard drives or phones. Someday our children and grandchildren will have no box to open with that framed photo, canvas or album as we did. Your photos are your legacy. This is why Lisa DeNeffe Photography is a finished product photographer.
We love making you products to create and preserve your legacy. Time and time again our families tell us how much they treasure their wall art and we truly believe our motto: "Let your family be your art!" But we do offer digitals as part of our collections, a la carte, and in our wedding packages.