Here is the truth-you can find one minute for yourself today. See how when we put it like that it doesn’t seem like such a bad idea? Meditation is a great way to start and end your day. And, once baby is born- and maybe not sleeping-it can be helpful to you in the middle of the night too😊
Follow these Easy Steps:
How to meditate.
- Breathe in. Breathe Out. But, you knew that.
Sound or no sound? Not a right or wrong.
- Meditation might be easier with sound- if just looking at your phone will take you down a rabbit hole and poof! your minute has disappeared like a magician’s rabbit- then skip sound.
- How to meditate without your phone? Close your eyes and listen. Focus on any sound that you hear and just keep listening. If nothing else you might hear your own breathe or heartbeat. Appreciate that.
- Want sound? Your phone has a white noise app, try that. Find one that is soothing that you like-Tibetan Bowls, Rain, whatever you like to hear and set it for 1 minute or more.
- There are also a million apps for meditation, and, surprise, you’re not the only one with only a minute.
You won't do it perfectly.
- Your mind may wander, that’s okay, just refocus on what you’re listening to. You can do some creative visualization here too-just imagine knocking that thought out of your mind with a tennis racket or releasing it like a balloon-or whatever woo woo thing works for you. Whatever works works. This is You Time.
Your question might be-when will you find that minute?!
Here are a few suggestions
Before You Get Out of Bed
- Before you do anything else. Ideally before you even open your eyes, take a moment and commit to taking care of you for the day. Yes, just say it to yourself in your head “Today I will take care of me.” If that’s as far as you get the first day, then Bravo for you! You have meditated!
- If you find that your eyes have not flown open and you’re not off on your day, or on day two or three after you’ve mastered the above, take a few more seconds.
- It might not be a bad idea to set a timer for a few minutes longer than your meditation-in case you fall asleep.
After you’ve Parked the Car, but before You’ve Gotten Out
- Tilt the seat back or don’t (this can lead to a nap if you’re tired)
- Take one deep breathe when your meditation is done. Get up, you might be pleasantly refreshed.
- Turn on the Kettle
- Lay or sit down
- Skip the phone
- When the kettle whistles, you’re done
- Start the Microwave
- Item takes 1-3 minutes? Just sit down, shut your eyes until the timer goes off
- Item takes longer than 3 minutes? Use or don't use an app.
- Into multitasking? There are no rules that say you can’t get some meditation time in during a bath.
- See above "Before You Get Out of Bed", but don’t set the alarm!
We feel confident that having read this you will be able to find the minute for yourself every day.
Don’t set yourself up for failure. Just one minute. If you find more, great! If all you get is 15 seconds in the morning, celebrate that!
Hey there! I'm Sarah and I've been helping pregnant and new moms look and feel their best for over 20 years-which is just crazy, but I love it. Our mission at Mom's the Word is to support moms-bump & beyond, basics & beyond, style and beyond. Meditation is a buzzword these days, but it's been helping moms for a long time, and we love that.