I have worked as a stylist, at Mom’s the Word for a year and a half now, and our clients share more than just a love for style and function, we share life hacks and life stories.
Many of our clients shop with us through the their pregnancy as well as the time they are nursing, and really, even for years after that!
One of these lovely mamas shared a recent nursing discovery with us and we were so interested that we started researching. She told us that her nipples were so sore and chapped that she had been desperately trying every option she could find. She discovered a product made by Silverette and she was sooo happy. What is it? 925 sterling silver nipple cups.
Turns out the healing properties of silver can help heal unhappy areolas and nipples without changing the smell or taste of your milk and avoiding all the trials and tribulations of creams.
We are always looking for ways to make a mom's life better, so adding these to our selection was a no brainer. They aren't a fashion piece, but, a mom not in pain always looks better! And, if you skip all of our MOM geek info on why these work, you will find that they can be reborn as an accessory for more than sore nipples! It does take a village.
Have you ever heard the saying “born with a silver spoon in your mouth”? Since time immemorial, especially in the Far East, silver has widely been believed to possess a wide variety of excellent health boosting properties. Children from families who could afford a silver spoon would give it to the child to suck on. This would fight infections and keep the babies much healthier than they would fare without.
Here is some information we found when researching this product that we are thrilled to share with all of you.
- Silver undoubtedly has antimicrobial properties, along with some other metals such as copper. Historically, coins or other items made of silver were used to help keep water from becoming contaminated and to keep milk fresh for longer periods when refrigeration was not available.
Sterling silver basics:
- 925 sterling silver is one of the most malleable and brightest precious metals known to man. In essence, the “925” in its name stands for its 92.5% pure silver composition, which is then alloyed with 7.5% copper. Which gives this precious metal an unparalleled durability and workability as pure silver usually takes a liquid form.
- 925 sterling silver can be placed in direct contact with the skin without triggering any adverse side effects. If this is all way more woowoo than you can stand, skip ahead!
- If you utilizes and value holistic medicinal properties you will be interested to know that silver
- has an uncommon ability to stimulate proper energy flow when placed in direct contact with the skin.
- this effect allows the body to accumulate more power.
- this enhanced energy flow through the body is also said to go a long way in preventing lethargic tendencies for those individuals who may be prone to them
- by integrating the habit of regularly wearing sterling silver, you will always feel vivacious and reinvigorated for much longer.
- this precious metal is also believed to play a role significantly in improving mental focus and concentration
Breaking down the western medical benefits of silver:
By using silver in modern bandages, the healing process can be further progressed by promoting the healing of the wound and killing infectious bacteria by doing the following:
- It can decrease the activity of the matrix metalloproteinase
- Helps to block the respiratory cycle of bacterial wall membrane
- Helps to decrease the need for excessive white cells
- Regulates inflammation
- Increase calcium levels
Without using vernacular that might otherwise turn off most non-medical personnel, how silver is beneficial in wound healing is actually quite simple.
- Silver minimizes zinc on the skin’s surface, which decreases an enzyme known as Metalloproteinase (MMP)
- this in turn stimulates healthy tissue
- in decreasing MMP, the natural anti-inflammatory properties present in silver increase production of calcium, which is necessary for wounds and in particular burns to heal.
Hippocrates (460 BC – 370 BC) surmised that silver had numerous healing applications and could ward off disease.
Although it took several thousand years to gain acceptance, during World War I, silver gained FDA approval for use as an antimicrobial agent. In the form of colloidal silver, it was commonly used as a disinfectant. Once penicillin was introduced during World War II, this put silver out of business as a crude form of antibiotic.
Interesting facts about silver (for those of you who crave knowledge and wisdom):
Where does silver come from? I.e. where is it mined?
Silver is mined from approximately 60 countries worldwide, with Mexico taking the lead, followed by Peru, China, Australia and Russia. Silver is extracted from lode (a natural vein of metal ore in the earth) and valuable, naturally occurring minerals known as placer deposits. Silver is usually mined as a by-product of copper, gold, zinc or lead and is one of the easiest metals to obtain.
How scarce is it? Will it ever run out?
Global supplies of silver have been gradually diminishing over the years, with many scientists predicting that the precious metal is likely to run out not long after this century. However, silver will only run out if the demand continues to rise at a rapid rate and only if no new resources are found. The rising demand and cost of silver means that searching for new deposits will be more cost-effective and in turn, this may increase the likelihood that more silver sources will be found.
More about Silverettes:
HOW TO USE SILVERETTE ®
To prevent or ease sore nursing nipples, leave a couple of drops of breast milk in each cup at the end or your breastfeeding session and place the cups directly over the nipple like a cupping glass. Keep SILVERETTE ® on as much as possible between breastfeeding sessions. Remove cups before breastfeeding.
Do not use any other nipple treatments in conjunction with SILVERETTE ® . Doing so may compromise or reduce the efficacy of the product.
HOW TO CLEAN SILVERETTE ® CUPS?
Wash them daily with warm water to remove any milk residues. To keep them shiny, make a paste using baking soda with a small amount of water. Rub the paste on the cups, rinse thoroughly and dry them.
CAN SILVERETTE ® CUPS BE USED TOGETHER WITH ABSORBENT BREAST PADS?
Yes, they can. If you plan on using absorbent breast pads, place the breast pads over the SILVERETTE ® cups. Your nursing bra will hold everything in place.
CONVERT SILVERETTE CUPS TO A PENDANT!!
When you have finished breastfeeding (whether it is for six months or six years), you can send back your SILVERETTE ® cups and they will turn them into a priceless keepsake you can treasure forever.
Since SILVERETTE ® cups are made of 925 silver, they can mold and create a handmade charm with your child’s initial engraved.
The charm will be the symbol of the love you gave your baby and will remind you of those magic and precious breastfeeding moments.
Live the good mom life:)